Care4Kids is a Medicaid benefit that provides comprehensive health care for children in out-of-home care that reflects the unique health needs of these children. To strengthen the quality, access, and timeliness of care, Care4Kids creates a "medical home" for each child entering care. This "medical home" is not a physical place, but rather a philosophy that children in out-of-home care (OHC) deserve coordinated and comprehensive healthcare that addresses their unique needs. Care4Kids provides children with primary care physicians who are trained in the needs of children in out-of-home care, and also creates a team of professionals who coordinate care for the child.
Facilitated by an outreach coordinator and health care coordinator, this team is comprised of the county caseworkers, health care professionals, out-of-home care providers, and the child's family. This team works together to ensure that children entering out-of-home care will receive timely, individualized and developmentally appropriate care by physicians trained in evidence-based and trauma-informed care. This new approach to healthcare will improve physical and mental health outcomes for children, as well as promote improved resiliency and create stronger natural support systems for children in out-of-home care.
Learn more about how the program has been making a difference in the lives of our members.
Through Care4Kids, children in out-of-home care will receive:
- An out-of-home health screen within 2 business days of entering care
- A comprehensive initial health assessment within 30 days of entering care
- Mental Health/Developmental Screening
- A mental health or developmental evaluation(s) (if needed)
- Dental and vision care
- Coordinated ongoing health care from providers trained in the unique needs of children in out-of-home care
- A comprehensive health care plan tailored to the child's individual health needs
- Care4Kids member handbook
You can find more information regarding the Care4Kids program at the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families website.